Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:09:38 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 1:52 pm, "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com>
wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Dec 7, 1:07 pm, Helmut Eller <eller.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> That the IDE forces me to use a particular editor isn't exactly an
> >> efficiency booster. Those tools could technically just as well
> >> communicate with Emacs or VI instead of being "integrated" with a single
> >> editor of a particular IDE.
>
> > Agreed.  That's the downside of using IDEs.  Their tools are tightly
> > integrated such that  their advanced features are not available
> > outside of the IDE.
>
> > I agree that IDEs do not get everything right.  However, they provide
> > a time-tested work-flow.
>
> I never found an IDE that got anything right.  What has been time
> tested, is their total inadequacy for anything beyond toys and school
> examples.

You are being too harsh.  IDEs got right:
- generation of a skeleton for organizing your project sources;
- a tidy frame configuration;
- easy navigation of project files;
- out-of-the-box context-sensitive code-completion;
- one click (or keystroke) compilation, with dependencies management;
- one click (or keystroke) debugging, with dependencies management;
- other which I'm too lazy to mention.

IDEs may have messed up things beyond these, but these are things that
you cannot get out of Emacs without a lot of effort, which is not
acceptable in a commercial setting.

> > Fixes for the lousy editors integrated into IDEs are easy to develop
>
> That's the main drawback of IDEs: you cannot change their components
> (well nowdays you could use an open source IDE, but changing a component
> will probably be more work than customizing emacs, if for the only
> reason that the IDE is not written in lisp).

IDEs are extensible by plugins.  This is not the same experience as a
Lisp environment, but you can manage to fix some issues.  As I've said
already, I don't use my IDE's vanilla editor.