Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:24:20 +0900

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
> Thank you, Miles, for the clarification. However, are we sure CEDET
> looks for headers included by source code, instead of just parsing
> some known headers (e.g. standard C library, etc.)?

It seems to handle what I threw at it (various completions based on
included header in a large project).

> Miles, CEDET could have the most advanced project-management system of
> this world, but if nobody knows or can figure out easily how it works,
> it doesn't matter.

I'm confused; are you implying that CEDET's project-management is
somehow hard to use or figure out?  Have you used it?

> That's why I think Emacs can't be an IDE, not even a code-editor,
> especially for beginners.  If Emacs users say it isn't so, well, I
> just can say they don't know what an IDE is.  [2]

You can say that, but of course it isn't very convincing -- you're
simply asserting that anybody who disagrees with you must not understand
the argument.

[and remember that many Emacs users (including myself) also use IDEs (I
only dabble with VS -- it's bad enough watching others use it -- but
I've used Eclipse a lot).]

Maybe you're right, and adding much[*] "IDE type" functionality Emacs is
doomed due to lack of manpower, but really, it's not really the _goals_
that are difficult (to understand), it's the implementation.

[*] One must remember, however, that IDEs as we know them are a bundle
of often rather orthagonal functionality, so it may be somewhat
misleading to talk about them as if they're a unit.  Some of this
functionality is easier to implement than other, and it may well be
possible to get quite far without being perfect.

> Please, do not take this a criticism of the work of CEDET mantainers.
> Indeed, their work is remarkable.

I agree, and by the same token, I'm hardly asserting that CEDET is
perfect or even _usable_ -- it's certainly very complex, and
traditionally has been a bear to install and setup (being part of the
Emacs distribution helps a lot on that front, of course).  It's just
that the complaints about it so far in this thread don't seem based on
actual experience...

-Miles

Z!