Re: too many buffers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: too many buffers
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:47:49 +0900

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
> What many programmers fail to realize about IDEs is that a lot of
> knowledge about usability is required to develop a productive IDE, a
> knowledge which is beyond the capabilities of the average programmer,
> or even the experienced one.  Please, let's not confuse a bloated IDE
> with a nice one.

Judging from watching my co-workers use Visual C++, that's not a very
good IDE either.... god what a mess its UI is (it takes them So Long to
do even the most elementary tasks; it's downright painful to watch).

Maybe they tried to do usability studies at some point but it's pretty
clear that either that did a really bad job of them, or gave up at some
point.  My suspicion is that many "IDEs" have grown via roughly the same
process of feature-aggregation that Emacs has.

-Miles

--
Kilt, n. A costume sometimes worn by Scotchmen [sic] in America and Americans
in Scotland.