Re: Swapping default input method: why so complicated?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Swapping default input method: why so complicated?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:07 -0000

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:08:34 +0000 (UTC) Ilya Zakharevich
<nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> wrote:

IZ> I'm trying to do what I consider a very typical requirement: swap two
IZ> values of default input method.  Unfortunately, I could not find any
IZ> documented solution (outside of info-manuals, just using f1 v and f1
IZ> f).  To get it working, I was forced to inspect the sources...  Is
IZ> there a simpler solution?

IZ> (defun my-cyr-switch-input-method ()
IZ>   "Switch cyrillic input method between cyrillic-yawerty and
cyrillic-jcuken."
IZ>   (interactive)
IZ>   (let (n (o (or current-input-method
IZ>                  (car input-method-history)
IZ>                  default-input-method))
IZ>           (c current-input-method))
IZ>     (setq n (if (equal o "cyrillic-yawerty")
IZ>                 "cyrillic-jcuken"
IZ>               "cyrillic-yawerty"))
IZ>     (set-input-method n)
IZ>     (or c (set-input-method nil))
IZ>     (message "Toggled default input method to \"%s\"; toggle on/off by
Ctrl-\\" n)))

I usually use `C-u M-x toggle-input-method' which queries and has a
history of past choices.  But it would be nice if there was a
`cycle-input-method' that cycled among several choices (or,
alternatively, `default-input-method' could be allowed to be a list and
then `toggle-input-method' could select the first element of the list
and then rotate the list).

Ted