Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:41 -0000

>> I know I can disable tooltip mode but I don't see how to disable all
>> the hover stuff going on.  I think it's too much for remote use.
>
> Indeed "all the hover stuff" is designed with the assumption of a fast
> and low-latency access to the X server.
>
> I must say I do not know how to make them work acceptably on a slow
> connection.  A poor man's solution is to turn off those features, but as
> you say it's not always easy to do it.
>
> Maybe we could provide a configuration variable that just forces Emacs
> to ignore all mouse-movement events, as it used to in Emacs-20 (IIRC).
> It would work by telling the server not to send it mouse-movement events
> (except within the scope of a track-mouse, of course, so that
> mouse-drags can provide feedback as is expected nowadays).
>

>         Stefan

That could be a good idea. Although I rarely run emacs in native X mode
remotely over a WAN these days, preferring tramp most of the time, it is
a pity that this feature no longer appears to work well.

For the OP, one solution is to use one of the X compression protocols.
There are a couple of variants and most are fairly easy to setup. These
greatly reduce the amount of X protocol traffic being sent and greatly
improve the performance. Most Linux distros come with one or two
variants as standard packages.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au