Re: GNUS newsreader problem

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GNUS newsreader problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:22:56 -0000

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:35:29 +0200 francogrex <franco@grex-removethis.com>
wrote:

f> Andreas Politz wrote:
>> francogrex <franco@grex-removethis.com> writes:
>>> Hello I am using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) and try to use
>>> GNUS to connect to the usenet newsserver eternal-september. In my .emacs
>>> I have set this: (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.eternal-
>>> september.org")) and I even set an authinfo file to supply my login and
>>> password. When I M-x GNUS it opens ok and recognizes the authinfo file
>>> and I see on the servers buffer '^' that I am actually connect to the
>>> newsserver: there is {open} (agent) (that I also tried to disable that
>>> agent). But I have no newsgroups? I try A-k, A-z nothing shows on the
>>> groups buffer? Can anyone give a hint why i can't get the newsgroups?
>>
>> In the server buffer hit `Enter' when point is on a news server.  It'll
>> open a list of newsgroups you can subscribe to with some key I forgot.
>>
>> I would leave the agent enabled, because it caches already downloaded
>> articles.

f> I did that and also read that i should configure an .authinfo file with
f> server name, login and password and force yes; i did that now it tries to
f> connect and get the newsgroups (so a step further than before) but emacs
f> crashes everytime and hangs for hours until I end its process. So still no
f> luck.

Many others can use that functionality without issues so it must either
be your configuration or your environment that is causing problems.  It
is really unusual for Emacs to crash; hanging on the other hand can
happen if Emacs is waiting for something.  Are you sure it's not in the
middle of a function that is hanging?  C-g should be able to interrupt
the function and get you back.  Also see toggle-debug-on-error and
toggle-debug-on-quit.

It would be especially helpful if you could provide your gnus.el file.

Ted