Re: Do we need a "Stevens" book?

From: Fren Zeee
Subject: Re: Do we need a "Stevens" book?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:22:00 -0000

On Jul 29, 2:55 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010-07-29
>
> On Jul 29, 3:02 am, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 29, 6:40 am, Thien-Thi Nguyen <t...@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>
> > > Why does the search start with Google (and continue with other
> > > downstream, non-terminating, whirlpool-shaped, out of date, referenda)?
> > > Why not go to the source?  The Emacs Lisp manual, the Emacs Lisp code,
> > > the Emacs customization facility, the Emacs *scratch* buffer, the Emacs!
>
> > Surprisingly enough - or not? - it seems few users do read the
> > manuals... I'm guilty of this too (and Emacs' manuals will be my
> > reading on my next vacations).
>
> i always thought of doing this, but just never did. Not the emacs
> manual, nor the elisp manual. Over the past 12 years of using emacs
> daily, i probably have read only 1/2 of each, counted in a
> accumulative way.
>
> However, i have read cover to cover, word for word, systematically in
> a continued setting, several programing lang or software docs/books.
> For examples:
>
> --------------------
>
> • Microsoft Word manual i've basically read cover to cover in about
> 1992. (stopped using Microsoft Word completely in about 1999)
>
> --------------------
> • HP-28S Advanced Scientific Calculator manual. (2 books) I read cover
> to cover, i think twice, in about 1991. In fact this is how i learned
> programing, my first computer language, and the first i mastered.
>
> • HP-28S Advanced Scientific Calculator
>  http://xahlee.org/prog/hp28s/hp28s.html
>
> • Xah Lee's Computing Experience Bio
>  http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/Personal_dir/xah_comp_exp.html
>
> --------------------
> • Mathematica manual (aka the Mathematica Book) i've read 3 times in
> separate years, from cover to cover. Note that Mathematica the
> software, the subject it deals with, is inherently a order of
> magnitude more complex than emacs. (the Mathematica book is over 1k
> pages.
> e.g.http://www.amazon.com/Mathematica-Book-Fourth-Stephen-Wolfram/dp/0521...
>
> since early 2000s, the software don't come with the book anymore, and
> am not sure if they still produce printed manual at all now... change
> with times...
> )
>
> --------------------
> • The Perl book/manual/“man pages”. I've read basically cover to cover
> in about 1998, 1999. (yes, i own the printed book. The printed book
> aka The Camel Book is edited version of the man pages. Actually i read
> all major perl books in late 2000s.
> See:
> • Pathetically Elational Regex Language (PERL)
>  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/perlr.html
> )
>
> > Emacs is too much a complex (not
> > difficult) and powerful software to be used by intuition alone, unlike
> > many softwares we are used to.
>
> This is simply not true.
>
> For example, from personal experience, Blender, Second Life both are
> [...]

If you say, and I take your word on face value, that emacs is so
simple - and that you spent so much effort on softwares that you later
abandoned like MS Word etc - explain here then, just the C code of
eval.c and eval.h and how to add a primitive.

A concrete example has to follow the very generalized claims.

Make a small demonstrative translation with a metacircular eval and
its translation to C side by side.
A small diagram to explain the garbage collector operation (Is he
using the mark and sweep or another algorithm?).

In addition, if Mathematica is Lisp in disguise with some additional
code for computer algebra, its not that much more complicated than
emacs.