Re: Rapidly navigating buffers using search

From: bolega
Subject: Re: Rapidly navigating buffers using search
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:18:01 -0000

On Jul 8, 3:36 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:

> In a way, it is a losing battle.  People expect software to just work
> without reading manuals.  95% of all Word users, for example, create
> their documents by mostly visual manipulation of their text without
> having a clue about underlying structures like references, style sheets
> and so on.  The result is unmaintainable crap, but they would not know
> better.  Word tries keeping up in this battle of computer illiteracy by
> doing things like enumerations, styles and so on "automagically",
> second-guessing the user, and the user tries second-guessing Word in
> order to get around that.
>
> It is an escalation of mutual cluelessness.  The more userfriendly a
> piece of software becomes, the more this becomes a problem for
> _competent_ people willing to learn about their tool.  At least Emacs is
> at its heart and in most of its modes a WYSIWYG system with regard to
> the actual file contents: regardless of the crap people do, what ends up
> on disk is that what they see on their screen.

Rare pearls of wisdom ... from DK.

The new interface of office 2007 with tabs instead of pull-down menu
is a lot better in terms of visual throughput.

A wysiwig editor with a good markup or definition language can go a
long way to educate the user about the underlying features while at
the same time providing user-friendly convenience.

Things are certainly progressing in this direction.

I have not used LyX but I have heard that it is wysiwig with the
option of viewing code in various representations.