Re: emacs in a terminal : problems with control

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: emacs in a terminal : problems with control
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:16:13 -0000

On 2010-06-27, Javier <nospam@nospam.org> wrote:
> I think xterm lets pass most of the control sequences (better than
> gnome-terminal).  If some key combination is not passed you will have
> to modify ~/.Xmodmap

I think this may be confusing.  You mean, probably

  if some KEYS are not visible to X applications [check with xev],
  one may need to set some stuff via xmodmap (on many distributions,
  this can be done by creating/editing ~/.Xmodmap).  If a KEY
  COMBINATION is not treated by xterm in a way you want to be treated,
  set resources via xrdb, as in

*.VT100.Translations: #override \
 ~Ctrl ~Meta <Btn2Up>: insert-selection(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD) \n\
              <BtnUp>:    select-end(PRIMARY, CUT_BUFFER0, CLIPBOARD) \n\
 ~Shift ~Meta  Ctrl <Key>UP:    string(0x1B) string("p") \n\

  On many distributions, it can be made by putting text like this into
  ~/.Xresources.

> What it would be good is that the linux distributions would provide
> extended versions of *.kmap.gz .Xmodmap files for passing more key
> combinations.

Hmm, I know that on recent systems kbd in a console and in X are
controlled by the same mechanism (I even have it written somewhere
;-]; AHA: .Xcompose).  Yes, it can be made to send strings on some
chords.  Never tried to use it (it does not help that one needs to go
through extra hoops with GTK and QT, and that to get docs for this I
needed to read the C source code of X...).

Yours,
Ilya