Re: line-move-visual

From: Joseph Brenner
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:09 -0000

Helmut Eller <eller.helmut@gmail.com> writes:
> Uday S Reddy wore:
>> Helmut Eller wrote:

>>> If you or Mark Crispin are so dependent on Emacs why don't you have test
>>> suites for your programs
>>
>> Why do you think Mark Crispin and I are the only ones "so dependent"
>> on Emacs?
>
> I don't think that you are the only ones (and never said that).  But it
> seems to me that it's your own fault to use keyboard macros for
> "mission-critical" stuff and not testing them.

Right.  So we hack our own test library, and we use it to determine that
emacs 23 will break our code.  We then put up a notice telling the end
users that they shouldn't uprade their version of emacs. They do it
anyway, and begin complaining, but everything's cool, because we can
point at the notice we put up.

Note that in this case, you'd have to have pretty good test coverage
to have a hope of noticing this problem, because it's not the kind of
breakage that anyone would've anticipated as being at all likely.