Re: line-move-visual

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:42 -0000

On 2010-06-13 at 17:56 ADT, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> In comp.emacs Mark Crispin <mrc@panda.com> wrote:

>> This wouldn't have been a problem had the arrow keys been changed to
>> the new semantics and CTRL-A/E/N/P been left alone.  The new semantics
>> are even arguably right for arrow keys (although I would go further and
>> say that they should also treat tabs as the equivalent number of
>> spaces).  It isn't as if we're still in the 1970s and have keyboards
>> without arrow keys.

> The arrow keys are a long way away from the home position on the
> keyboard.  You're surely not suggesting rebinding those four key
> sequences to something else?

Why not?  Presumably (*) the idea of having long lines and moving to
the next visual line (as the default) is to placate word-processor
refugees, who are probably used to using arrow keys (regardless of how
far they are from the home position) and not interested in using
Ctrl-A,E,N,P.

(*) Wild speculation, since I didn't read the discussion on the
developer list.  Mea culpa.

                                Jim