Re: line-move-visual

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:03 -0000

> - when no line wraps, it either makes no difference, or it works
>   slightly better because it correctly accounts for
>   variable-pitch fonts.
> - when lines are long [...], the new behavior is much better (how did
>   you move to "that spot I see about 10 visual-lines down from point" in
>   a single logical line in previous Emacsen?).

I agree, and with the macro exception I'm in favour of operating on
visual lines by default.  But what I don't understand is why there are
two levels of operating on visual lines: line-move-visual and
visual-line-mode.  IMO, the former is confusing, because C-a/e (and
probably others) still operate on logical lines.

I guess, that's because VLM is more invasive, i.e. keys get bound to new
functions.  But then, why not drop VLM altogether and make
`move-beginning/end-of-line' obey line-move-visual, too?

Bye,
Tassilo