Re: line-move-visual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:50 -0000

Mark Crispin <mrc@panda.com> writes:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Uday S Reddy posted:
>> Having used Emacs for some 30 years myself, I always expect a few
>> surprises with a new major version of Emacs.
>
> Why should users expect surprises?
>
>> It takes me a few months to read through all the change logs and the
>> new manual sections to become comfortable with all the new and
>> changed features.
>
> Why should users - who presumably have work to do - be obliged to do
> this?

Why should they install newer versions if they don't want things to
change?

>> I also discovered that there is an Options -> Customize -> New
>> Options menu
>
> I turned off that stupid menu years ago.  I need every screen line.  I
> want to use emacs, not MS Word.

Why don't you get and install a suitably old version and stay with it?

> It does no good whatsoever to tell me that I should get used to the
> change.  Other machines don't have that change.  Some are still in
> emacs 18.  Others are bleeding edge.

Install Emacs 18 everywhere and you are finished.

> I should not have to customize emacs so that CTRL/A, CTRL/E, CTRL/N,
> and CTRL/P continue to work the way they've done since the mid-1970s.

Install a version of Emacs from the mid-1970s, and you get the behavior
of Emacs from the mid-1970s.  What is so hard about that?

--
David Kastrup