Re: line-move-visual

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:37 -0000

Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTreddy@cs.bham.ac.uk> writes:

>> For normal editing, I like visual-line-mode sometimes (for example
>> when working on a TeX document with colleagues, which write
>> paragraphs one one single line).  With that, *all* motion commands
>> operate on visual lines.  Its default is off.
>
> Just curiious.  If they write whole paragraphs as lines, how do they
> do version control?

It's a good style to write short and to the point paragraphs.  But
still, the diffs are usually a bit larger than with hard line breaks.

But on docs I write with hard breaks after 79 chars, my diffs are also
bigger than they must be, cause I cannot refrain from pressing M-q when
editing something in the middle of a paragraph. ;-)

Anyway, when writing text I've never felt the need to use version
control for anything except collaborative but sequential editing and
backup.  I can't even imagine forking some document, writing an
"experimental" paragraph and merging that back to trunk some time
later. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo