Re: what is <find>?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: what is <find>?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:30 -0000

patrol <patrol_boat@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> After I did a nonincremental search with M-x search-forward, Emacs
> sent me this text message: "You can run the command  'search-forward'
> with <find>." Can someone please tell me what "<find>" is? I found
> something about "find" in the manual related to dired, but it didn't
> look related. And googling <find> is hard because Google ignores
> special characters when searching.
> Thanks

<find> is the name of the Find key.

If you use X11, you can bind it to a physical key if you know its
keycode with the line:

   keycode 78 = Find

in ~/.Xmodmap

You can also ignore it, since with emacs you can bind any key to a command.

So assuming you want to be able to search-forward by typing just: C-c C-s
you can put:

   (global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-s") 'search-forward)

in ~/.emacs, or for temporarily try it out:

   M-x global-set-key RET C-c C-s search-forward RET

Then if you type:

   C-h w search-forward RET

you should see the added key binding.