Re: Upgrade from Emacs 22.3 to 23.2

From: gerald . jean
Subject: Re: Upgrade from Emacs 22.3 to 23.2
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:29:34 -0500

Here is the output of M-x report-emacs-bug

From: Gerald Jean <jeg002@actul01.dgdom.net>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: 23.2; Display color issues from Emacs 22.3 to 23.2 on RedHat.
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

 recently our IT upgraded Emacs from 22.3 to 23.2.  Using exactly the same
 .emacs file the fontification and the colors are very different.

 M-x list-colors-display   yields:

 22.3 --- 542 colors and gray shades.
 23.2 ---     3 colors.

 I use font-lock a lot and now some words are so pale I can't even read
 them.  What is causing that?  is there a way around it?  could it be
 compilation flags?

 This is under RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 on a 64-bit machine.

Note that Emacs 23.1 yields exactly the same problem as described with
23.2.  The three versions of Emacs are now installed on the machine,
they all use the same ".emacs" file, 22.3 doesn't display the problem.
I also run 23.1 here, at work, on a Windows machine and 23.1 at home on
Ubuntu Linux, both are fine and do not display the problem.  Following
you'll find the specific of "M-x report-emacs-bug" for 23.2.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2010-11-03 on actul01.dgdom.net
Windowing system distributor `Citrix Systems Inc', version 11.0.58023
configured using `configure  '--with-gif=no' '--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: fr_CA
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: fr_CA
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_CA
  value of $LANG: fr_CA
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: ESS[S]

Minor modes in effect:
  iswitchb-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b C-s <return> M-x b u g SPC r e SPC C-a C-k r
e p o r t SPC e m a SPC SPC <return>

Recent messages:
Sorting environment...
Removing duplicates... done
/actuaria/jeg002/RechMark/Corpo/2010/TauxSoumission/LaTeX/auto/TauxSoum.el
(source)...done
(source)...done
Applying style hooks... done
OVERVIEW
Wrote /home/jeg002/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 20 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util
hashcash mail-utils emacsbug reftex-vcr reftex-dcr reftex-auc reftex
reftex-vars tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x font-latex latex tex-style tex
org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus
org-bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile advice help-fns
advice-preload org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces org-compat
org-macs time-date noutline outline easy-mmode imenu edmacro kmacro
dired mic-paren iswitchb desktop ess-font-lock paren ess-eldoc
ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme compile thingatpt browse-url ess-menu
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe ess-swv ess-noweb noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a executable shell
ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars
cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-r-d ess-r-args
assoc ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils comint ring ess-mode noweb-mode ess
ess-custom ess-compat ess-site avoid tex-site time appt cal-china lunar
solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs
diary-lib diary-loaddefs regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs iso-transl tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)