Copying to unicode.

From: Steven W. Orr
Subject: Copying to unicode.
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 12:27:45 -0400

People send me stuff from Outlook all the time. I sometimes want to copy some of the text to a file I'm editing in emacs. The text displays fine in emacs, but what I really want to do is to set myself up so that *funny* characters end up being pasted in using unicode.

I see that there's something called the nonascii-translation-table. I'm looking for low-hanging fruit. Has anyone already written something cool that translates funny characters to keep me in unibyte? Examples would be:

Open or close double quotes ==> " ( \042 )
enspace, mspace, etc        ==> ' ' ( \040 )
Funny single quotes         ==> ' ( \047 )
etc...

Anyone? Or is this a dumb idea?

Thanks.

steveo at syslang.net