Re: Tramp question

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp question
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:49:17 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> M-: RET (shell-command-to-string "git ls-files")
> it doesn't work on the remote machine.

`shell-command-to-string' uses internally `call-process', which does not
support processes on remote hosts. Replacing this call by `process-file'
seems to DTRT. You might write a bug report.

> I think that's more or less also why something works in tramp and
> something doesn't (gtags-mode for example).

I do not know, whether it is always intended to run `shell-command-to-string'
on the remote host. Must be checked, before it is changed.

Best regards, Michael.