Line editing in read-passwd

From: Whitfield Diffie
Subject: Line editing in read-passwd
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:55:20 -0700

   If I type (read-string "Prompt: ") I can line edit the typein with
<crtl-a>, <ctrl-b>, <ctrl-k>, etc.  If I type (read-passwd "Prompt: ")
the only characters that are no merely absorbed into the string are
<ctrl-u> and either of the delete-backwards characters.  Does anyone
know how to get the cursor to come out in the right place as I back up
down the row of dots that read-passwd echoes?

    I realize it is not obvious what use this would be.  Don't trust
me; I have something up my sleeve.

            Many thanks,

                            Whit