Re: Lost functionality in buffer item in menu bar from 22 to 23...

From: Drew Ames
Subject: Re: Lost functionality in buffer item in menu bar from 22 to 23...
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:01 -0000

Okay, I've been hacking on this for a little bit, and here's what I
found.

I renamed the menu-bar.el.gz, menu-bar.elc, tmm.el.gz, and tmm.elc
files from emacs 23.1 and then copied the same files from emacs 22.3
to the 23.1 lisp directory.

The end result was no change in the behavior of the buffer menu bar
item in tmm-menubar. Pressing F10 then "b" gave me just the same four
options, with no list of open buffers. There's something going on
beyond the tmm and menu-bar files.

I did a diff of the two versions of the tmm.el.gz files and found some
differences, but I don't really know what they meant.

This is a little frustrating because the Emacs 22 buffer item in tmm-
menubar makes buffer switching [I]very[/I] easy: Hit F10, b, and the
first letter of the buffer I want. Then the menubar buffer goes away
and the buffer I selected is up.

Three key strokes which requires hitting only three keys.

The other option of C-x-C-b requires me to the C-x-o into the buffer
list. [I]Then[/I] I select the buffer I want, and I'm left with a
split screen, so then I need to hit C-x-1 to remove the split.

Seven key strokes requiring hitting eleven keys.

Does anyone know a way to get the previous functionality back?

Regards,

-Drew Ames