Re: hook for buffer creation

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: hook for buffer creation
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:42:42 -0000

Francis Moreau wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to hilight some keywords for any buffers whatever the mode
used for this buffer. In order to achieve that I'd like to use the
hook called when a buffer is created but I can't find it. I only found
the hook used when a buffer is killed.

Could anybody tell me the revelant hook to use ?

Thanks

Francis,

You could use   buffer-list-changed-hook.  It's called whenever
a frame has its buffers modified. You'd need to call (window-list) on
that frame, and then get the buffer for each window. Then check if that
buffer has yet to be processed by your hook

If you want only the text-editing buffers, regardless of the major mode,
then putting a defadvice on fundamental-mode (it doesn't have a hook),
should work. IIRC, all text-edting modes are derived from fundamental-mode,
and its hooks/init function are called.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.