Re: calendar-date-style

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: calendar-date-style
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:30 -0000

Pingouin <gerald.jean@dgag.ca> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to Emacs-23.1.1.  I have an issue with calendar-
> date-style.  In calendar I always used "european" date style, all my
> appointments and meetings are set up with this style; I had the line
> (setq european-calendar-style t) in my .emacs, that did the trick but
> now Emacs-23 complains telling me this is an obsolete variable; it
> tells me to use "calendar-date-style" instead, but the doc says:
>
> |______________
> Setting this variable directly does not take effect (if the
> calendar package is already loaded).  Rather, use either
> M-x customize or the function `calendar-set-date-style'.
> |______________
>
> In .emacs I tried to use the function "calendar-set-date-style" every
> way I could think of but with no luck!  Please an example!
>
> I also tried to set "calendar-date-style" through M-x customize, as
> suggested.  After setting it to "european", clicking the "Save for
> future sessions" button yielded the following error:
>
> |--------------------------------
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function recentf-expand-file-name)

A few suggestions -

1. Have a look at the etc/NEWS file for the version of emacs your
running. You will find that a lot of the calendar subsystems have been
re-written. You will also find that you may not need to change the date
style anymore as calendar is now using ISO date formats by default,
eliminating the silly european/us date kformat confusion. The mode has
been extensively re-worked and I'd recommend starting from scratch -
throw away all your previous settings.

2. You could just set the variable directly via setq in your .emacs
file. It just has to be set before you 'require' any calendar functions

3.The error you get with customize is either a bug or it is due to
something configured locally. I'm only guessing, but it may be something
in your customize section that is from earlier customizations and is
breaking things now. The error is related to recentf mode, which I think
is an optional mode that needs to be loaded/configured by the user. My
bet is you have something screwed up in how this is configured.

 I'd try temporarily moving your .emacs to the side,
creating a blank .emacs and trying again. If it works, you know its
something doddgy in your .emacs If it doesn't work, log a bug.

You don't indicate how you have tried to call the
calendar-set-date-style function, but something like

(calendar-set-date-style 'european)

should work.

Tin

--