Re: two dired questions

From: José A . Romero L .
Subject: Re: two dired questions
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:41:27 -0000

On 4 Mar, 15:10, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> i.
> Is there a function or, better yet, a keychord that backspaces (by
> erasing) subdirectory components in the minibuffer. So, if the current
> directory is deeply embedded in the file hierarchy, can I hit a key
(...)
> Is there a setting that overwrites the dired buffer with the new one
> navigated to (or alternatively kills the one navigated from), so that
> there is only one dired buffer at a time instead of a long trail of them?

There is  find-alternate-file (C-x  C-v), then you  can use  the that
appears by default in the minibuffer, and press C-backspace until you
reach the directory you want to visit, then press Enter.

For more sofisticated usecases you may want to have a look at:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail.com
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
(Quarry worker's creed)