Re: corrupt bbdb database, & what to do abouti t?

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: corrupt bbdb database, & what to do abouti t?
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:56:33 -0400

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:23 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> after two events in rapid succession -- a hard hang on emacs that
>> required me to kill the process, and a minor upgrade of my system
>> (running snapshot packages on ubuntu lucid), my bbdb database appears
>> to be corrupt.  i'm just wondering what i ought to do about that, as i
>> spent quite a while harvesting these addresses & don't want to lose
>> them entirely.  here's my error message:
>>
>> ----------
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "catastrophic: bbdb-records
>> recursed")
>>   signal(error ("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed"))
>>   error("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed")
>>   bbdb-records(nil t)
>>   byte-code(" \203 !\210\303\304\305\"\210      \207" [w bbdb-hashtable
>> select-window bbdb-records nil t] 3)
>>   bbdb-complete-name()
>>   call-interactively(bbdb-complete-name nil nil)
>>   recursive-edit()
>>   byte-code("\306       @\307=\203!
>> debug(error (error "catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed"))
>>   signal(error ("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed"))
>>   error("catastrophic: bbdb-records recursed")
>>   bbdb-records(t)
>>   bbdb-search-simple(nil "jasonbrown591@rogers.com")
>> --------
>> has anyone ever seen this before?  i'm guessing my bbdb db is corrupt
>> but i'd rather not build it back from scratch, so if anyone has any
>> advice it'd be really helpful.  thanks much,
>> matt
>

> It's just text...  Peruse it, and see if anything looks funny.  If it
> does, fix it.  (Save a backup first, of course!)

well, that worked.  in fact i just looked at the old backup, saw there
was only one line different, and deleted it.  it's still not obvious
to me why there should be a problem, though.  here's the diff:

~$ diff .backup/\!home\!matt\!.emacs.d\!bbdb.~16~ .emacs.d/bbdb
225a226
> ["OLPC Community" "Support" nil nil nil nil
> ("community-support@lists.laptop.org") ((creation-date . "2010-04-26")
> (timestamp . "2010-04-26")) nil]

I guess there must be something wrong with that reford but I can't
tell just looking at it.  anyway thanks for the help!

matt