Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.

From: Gaute Amundsen
Subject: Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:56:08 +0200

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 17:46 +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> [...]
<snip>

> >> No, I am not using a Debian based Linux. Other suggestions:
> >> locate .el
> >
> > Only hits are /etc/emacs/site-start* and
> > /etc/emacs23/site-start.d/00debian-vars.elc
> >
> > piping into "xargs -n 1 grep -i font" gives no hits.
>
> Of course! An ELC file is a compiled Emacs Lisp/ELisp or EL file. Get
> the uncompiled version! In a GPL'ed OS it has to exist. Could be /etc/
> emacs23/site-start.d has the EL files as well... (GNU Emacs prefers to
> load the byte-compiled variants: they're faster to load.)

Yes, that's in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/
None of those are elc.
Only mentioned the elc for completeness.

Tried greping for a number of terms related to fonts, devices X, and so
on. no hits.
None of the names suggest anything related to fonts or X either :(

but just moving the whole dir out of the way, does actually make a
difference. Now I get screenshot 3 straight away. :-/

> >> launch GNU Emacs as
> >>
> >>    emacs [...] -eval '(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
> >> (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))'
> >
> > Should the message show up in *Messages* ? Nothing there.
>
> Yes. You should see a few lines..., but, yes, some Emacsen (I tried
> "Carbon Emacs" in Mac OS X) hide loading these "init" files.
>
> > Tried emacs --debug-init as well with no obvious sign of anything
> > happening.
>
> Starts "debugging" (with a 'Backtrace* buffer) *after* an error has
> happened.
And as there are no error as such, no trace.

Gaute