Controlling font styles in latex-mode

From: Ramesh Sridharan
Subject: Controlling font styles in latex-mode
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:44:35 -0400

I was wondering how to tell emacs not to allow style changes that
change font face. In particular, latex-mode causes a number of changes
I don't like:

- Text inside of a \section{} or \subsection{} block is bigger and
variable-width
- Superscripts and subscripts are shown in superscript or subscript,
making them smaller.

I find syntax highlighting very useful, so I don't want to disable
font-lock altogether. Is there any way to prevent changes to the font
size or face (i.e. I don't want anything to become bigger, smaller, or
change in font, but color changes are OK)?

I've tried (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration X) with X as nil and t,
but nil is too little (i.e. it completely gets rid of syntax
highlighting), and t is too much (i.e. it's overly decorated as
described above). Here are the relevant (i.e. non-comment) lines of my
.emacs:
;;;;;;;;;;;;
(modify-frame-parameters nil '((wait-for-wm . nil)))
(set-background-color "black")
(set-foreground-color "white")
(set-cursor-color "white")
(global-font-lock-mode t)
(show-paren-mode)

I'm using emacs 22.2.1 on Debian (lenny).

Thanks,
Ramesh