enabling ido requires sudo authentication

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: enabling ido requires sudo authentication
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:20:09 +0800

Hi,

I'm having a very weird problem: I recently switched from a Mac to
Ubuntu, and at some point during the tweaking and adjusting and fixing,
ido-mode started requiring my administrative password, via tramp. I have
ido turned on via the customize interface, and commenting out:

'(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))

in the customize variable list fixes the problem. It also turns off
ido-mode, obviously, and re-enabling it via M-x ido-mode once again
prompts for my sudo password (I see "Password for /sudo:root@mymachine:"
in the minibuffer).

My password entered, ido-mode is enabled and all is well. This leaves me
with an open buffer called *tramp/sudo root@mymachine*, the contents of
which is this single line:

(("`/etc/'") 155 0 0 1269322750.0 1269322641.0 1269322641.0 12288.0
"drwxr-xr-x" t 16386.0 -1)

This is deeply mysterious to me (I have no open file or dired buffers
under /etc/), but it sure looks meaningful and I hope someone here will
have a clue as to what's going on.

I have recentf and desktop-mode enabled; there are no root-owned files
in recentf or desktop, and while desktop's "file-name-history" variable
had some sudo files, setting that variable to the empty list and
restarting didn't change anything.

Any and all help appreciated!

Eric

GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.0) of
2009-09-27 on crested, modified by Debian

These are all my other ido-related customizations, I don't have any
non-customize ido variables set:

 '(ido-auto-merge-work-directories-length -1)
 '(ido-create-new-buffer (quote always))
 '(ido-enable-flex-matching t)
 '(ido-enable-tramp-completion nil)
 '(ido-everywhere t)
 '(ido-max-work-directory-list 10)
 '(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido)) ;this is requiring sudo
 '(ido-record-ftp-work-directories nil)
 '(ido-show-dot-for-dired t)