Re: How does M-x completion works

From: Yannick Duchêne
Subject: Re: How does M-x completion works
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:58:14 +0100

Le Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:44:54 +0100, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> a écrit:
No.  Compare the Completion node of the Emacs manual with the Tags node:

| Some arguments allow "completion" to enter their value.  This means
| that after you type part of the argument, Emacs can fill in the rest,
| or some of it, based on what you have typed so far.
|    For example, `M-x' uses the minibuffer to read the name of a
| command, so it provides a list of all Emacs command names for
| completion candidates.

| A "tags table" is a description of how a multi-file program is broken
| up into files.  It lists the names of the component files and the names
| and positions of the functions (or other named subunits) in each file.

Thanks for the point Kevin. I was starting to feel lost and wondering if I did really understand the manual. So you confirm these are really different things. I feel better now.

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just not lucky