Re: change spaces indent in text mode?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: change spaces indent in text mode?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 21:14:49 -0500

> If everyone you had to work with used tabs, then it would be possible to
> realise one of the great benefits of tabs. That is, we could all have
> the amount of indent that we want, 2 spaces, 4, 8 10 whatever and it
> wouldn't matter.

That works for indentations such as

     if (foo)
       {
         blabla
       }

where indentation is always relative to previous indentation plus or
minus some fixed number of columns (typically "one tab").

But it doesn't in cases such as

   foofunc(arg1, arg2,
           arg3, arg4)

where the indentation of the second line is aligned with a particular
place in the code, so that if you use TABs for this part, it will only
be properly indentated if you use the same TAB width as was used when
the line was originally indented.

        Stefan