Re: Reading mail

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Reading mail
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:23:14 +0100

Mauro Sacchetto <mauro.sacchetto@gmail.com> writes:

> Anselm Helbig wrote:
>> Gnus is already part of Emacs 23, that might explain things.
>
> AH, OK. I'm rather confused.
> So, how I can control my mail?
> The string above doesn't work,

What string above? ;) Better not to cut relevant material.

> but I don't understand if I have
> to install some packages (in Deb
> mailutils, f. e), or if I have
> to control mail in another way
> rather than by rmail...

rmail is pretty "old school" ;)  You might be better off with gnus  - some
people hate it. Many more love it. It is a learning curve there though.

To clarify : when you installed gnus in debian (I think you said) that
is used with emacs 22 hence the debian repository manager assumed you
wanted emacs 22 too. Uninstall both emacs 22 and gnus. Then using
update-alternatives (google!) check emacs 23 is your default.

With a straightforward email setup with one account you might want to
install sendmail. and the gnutls packages. With a more complicated set
up you might not even used sendmail and instead use something like msmtp
which can use multiple smtp servers - that is probably something for you
to read up on at a later date.

> Thanx

With Gnus the lines you listed wont work. You need to use the select
methods described in the Gnus manual and in numerous locations in
google. e,g

,----
| (setq  gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
|                                    (nnimap-stream tls)
|                                    (nnimap-address "imap.myhost.net")
|                                    (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
|                                    (nnir-search-engine imap)))
`----

It can be frustrating but when the mist clears you will be whooping with
joy ;)

--
Google Talk : rileyrgdev@googlemail.com  http://www.google.com/talk
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )