Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Help with installing Emacs 23(CVS) to a custom path
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 00:43:12 -0800

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 10:12 PM, Tim X wrote:
Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  writes:

Hi everyone,

I was trying to install Emacs 23 from CVS on a Scientific Linux 4 machine and
ran into some problems. I am limited with write permissions to only my home
area and the /scratchdisk. So I checked out the CVS tree in a directory in
/scratchdisk and built emacs using

$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap

Then I edited the Makefile to use ${prefix}=/scratchdisk/myfolder and ran

$ make install

But this fails as make tries to install _some_ files in /usr/local/share/

How do I ask make to install everything in /scratchdisk/myfolder ? Also can I
remove my build directory after `make install' succeeds? (short on disk space)

Thanks for any pointers.

There are a couple of things

1. Don't install. run form the directory you built emacs in. I do this a
lot and it works fine.

2. the configure program has the option --with-prefix, which you can use
to control the leading prefix for all the other bits. For exmaple,
--with-prefix=/usr/local. This will still want to put things in
/usr/local/libexec, l/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/emacs,
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp etc. So, create these dirs off the root
of where you want it to be isntalled. i.e. /home/fred/emacs/libexec,
/home/fred/emacs/share, etc.

3. If you run ./configure --help, it will list all the options to
configure. Included in these optons are all the path setings i.e.
bindir, libdir etc. Use all these to set the paths where you want them
with configure i.e.

./configure --with-libdir=/home/fred/emacs/lib
--with-bindir=/home/fred/bin --with-infodir=/home/fred/info etc.

Personally, I would just run from the build dir.

Thanks Tim and Jason for your replies. My problem with running emacs from the build directory is disk space, I only have a 300 MB quota. :-\ I followed Eli's suggestion and have everything worked out. :)

Tim

--
Suvayu