RE: dired and multiple command problem

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired and multiple command problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 20:13:28 -0800

> I'm using dired+.el for my directory listing.
>
> When marking multiple files and trying to 'cp' or symlink
> them as a whole using 'C' or 'Y' only the first in the list
> of marked files gets copied or link and the mini-buffer says:
>
> Listing directory failed but 'access-file' worked
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Dired+ is not part of vanilla Emacs. Please report Dired+ bugs to me directly,
by email. Mention your specific Emacs version, and try to provide a reproducible
recipe that starts with `emacs -Q'. IOW, don't load your init file; load only
dired+.el, explicitly.

I assume you mean that you have no problem with `C' and `Y' when using vanilla
Dired (e.g. emacs -Q, without loading dired+.el).

I cannot reproduce the problem, given only your description so far. When I mark
several files, then hit `C' and supply a target directory, all of the marked
files are copied to that directory.

But I'm not getting the error you encounter - that error is probably the cause
of the lack of multiple copies. The question then becomes what is causing the
error.

Send me as much specific info as you can, and I'll see what I can do.

FYI, the error message comes from function `insert-directory', which is defined
in files.el (not a Dired file). You can try loading files.el (not files.elc) and
using `M-x debug-on-entry insert-directory', and then repeat your recipe to use
the debugger (`d' and `c') to see what goes wrong.

If you cannot reproduce the problem from emacs -Q together with only dired+.el,
then you will need to find out what else in your init file might be contributing
to the error. Try to narrow things down as much as possible, then send me
whatever info you glean.

Thx - Drew