Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:29:59 -0800

Hi Michael,

On Thursday 07 January 2010 12:41 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  writes:

Is there any way I could tell emacs not to reconnect when this
happens? I tried running `ps uf -u `whoami`' and kill the shell
running the hung ssh process. But that only re-spawns the process
again.

Is there anyway around this? Hopefully I have explained my predicament
clearly. Thanks for any advice on this.

Usually, you should be able to interrupt Tramp's activities by
C-g. Which version of Tramp do you use? You find it out by
"C-h v tramp-version".

My version of tramp is 2.1.15, Emacs 23.1.1.

Furthermore, there are some commands to close a connection.
"M-x tramp-cleanup-connection" allows you to close a connection.
"M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" closes all existing connections, and
"M-x tramp-cleanup-all-buffers" does the same, and deletes also related
buffers.

These will be a lot of help when emacs is still responsive, thanks. But usually when this happens, all the frames associated to the emacs server freezes, and doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse input. I also see similar behaviour whenever TRAMP is busy with the network, say authenticating to the remote server. As soon as its done, every thing goes back to normal. Maybe I should have taken screen shots. :-\

Best regards, Michael.

Thanks a lot for the response, I will try to take some screen shots the next time this happens.
--
Suvayu