Re: Spell checking too slow on Emacs.app

From: Steve Revilak
Subject: Re: Spell checking too slow on Emacs.app
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:35:11 -0500

Thanks Leo.  It helps to know the problem is beyond my control.
ispell is quick and fairly easy to use from the command line in case
you want to check spelling more than once a month.  It's a bit of a
hassle to remember to save the buffer before the spell check and then
revert the buffer after the check, but even with those steps its way
quicker than trying to check spelling within emacs.

I've discovered a workaround that might (or might not) be useful.
From a shell prompt,

  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw FILE

Spell checking (i.e., M-x ispell-buffer) is quite fast if you run
emacs as a non-windowed application.

(Emacs 23.1.1 & 23.1.90.1, on Mac OS X 10.4.11, aspell 0.60.6)

Steve