Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Using Emacs Lisp for script writing
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:13:08 -0500

Cecil Westerhof wrote:
Sam Steingold <sds@gnu.org> writes:

I already use 'emacs -batch' for scripting where no user input is used,
but I would like to use it also for interactive scripting. Until now I
did not find any usable information about this. Anybody using Emacs for
interactive scripts?
I use clisp for all scripting, interactive and not.
Common Lisp is more powerful than Emacs Lisp and clisp is faster than
emacs.

I have been experimenting with clisp. But I think that Emacs Lisp does a
pretty good job. I translated a script I wrote in Emacs Lisp to CL. The
Emacs Lisp version needed 51 seconds on a certain data set. When using
clisp with the converted code, clisp needs 79 seconds. That is more as
50% longer.

in addition to compilation - there might be non-obvious inefficiencies in the code. you might want to post it here (if it is not too big).