Re: Viewing files in tar mode

From: Peter Gordon
Subject: Re: Viewing files in tar mode
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:54:55 +0200

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 22:58 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 10.12.2009 um 15:51 schrieb peter:
>
> > Is there a way of persuading emacs to open the gzipped file correctly?
>

> Try to customise auto-compression-mode – setting it to jka-compr
> should give you what you want. Maybe jka-compr-compression-info-list
> needs some customisation too.

But if I open a gz file from outside a tar file, it uncompresses the
file.

I also tried running with emacs -Q, and it also failed to uncompress the
gz file contained in the tar file.

You suggested that I customise auto-compression-mode, but that variable
deals with gz files. In any case, could you give me the syntax for
setting auto-compression-mode to jka-compr?

I suspect this is a tar-mode.el bug. Should I report it on the bugs
list?

Peter