Re: Extract sublists

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Extract sublists
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:50 -0600

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:22:51 -0800 (PST) Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:

N> Is there a function for extracting sublists of lists?
N> If not here is my suggestion for inclusion in Emacs.

N> (defun sublist (list from to)
N>   "Return a sublist of LIST, from FROM to TO.
N> Counting starts at 0. Like `substring' but for lists."
N>   (let (rtn (c from))
N>     (setq list (nthcdr from list))
N>     (while (and list (< c to))
N>       (push (pop list) rtn)
N>       (setq c (1+ c)))
N>     (nreverse rtn)))
N> ;; Use: (sublist '(a b) 0 0)
N> ;; Use: (sublist '(a b) 0 1)
N> ;; Use: (sublist '(a b) 1 2)
N> ;; Use: (sublist '(a b) 0 2)

It would be really nice if either FROM or TO could be a function or a
number, so you can say "from 2 to the first place where the element
passed to this function doesn't return t."  This is not a filter because
you look for the first place the function fails.  Unfortunately it's
efficient only if you walk through the list yourself so nthcdr won't be
so useful.

Ted