Re: One more question about elisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: One more question about elisp
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 14:53:10 -0500

>>> Actually I'm not trying to do elisp the C way, I'm just wondering the
>>> usual/right way to do this in elisp.
>> defstruct is the right way to do it.
> Ok thanks but that's the clisp way actually.

Other lanagues are irrelevant here: in Elisp, `defstruct' is the right
way to do it.

        Stefan "Emacs maintainer"

PS: As for "why isn't it used more in Emacs's packages?", one of the
reasons is that most Emacs packages provide little more than some
description of the language they support, and the real code using it is
implemented elsewhere (e.g. in C).
Also for most packages the only "data structures" they use is the
buffer's text.  OTOH most applications written in Elisp do use defstruct
or something comparable.