Re: python-mode, c-c c-c and unicode in output buffer

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: python-mode, c-c c-c and unicode in output buffer
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 19:27:58 +0000

sandro dentella <sandro@e-den.it> writes:

> mmh, python says it's trying to create an ascii coded string and it
> can't write
> char u'\xe8' in ascii.

Right.  The Python manual doesn't tell you it does that when writing to
a pipe (used to suppress paging in the Emacs sub-process) rather than a
pty:

  $ python u.py | cat
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "u.py", line 2, in <module>
      print u"รจ"
  UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe8' in position
0: ordinal not in range(128)

I fixed this recently in my version (at least as far as pydoc's handling
of paging goes, which was the reason for setting process-connection-type
for the sub-process).  There was previously a misleading comment about
non-ASCII code.  <URL:http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/#python.el>