Q: Testing forthe existence of a function

From: grkuntzmd
Subject: Q: Testing forthe existence of a function
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:11:22 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to share my .emacs file across multiple hosts, some of which have emacs compiled for X and some which do not.

On the ones that don't, the statement

(tool-bar-mode nil)
causes an error: Symbol's function definition is void: tool-bar-mode

I would like to add a statement of the form

(if (defined 'tool-bar-mode) (tool-bar-mode nil))
but I can't find the proper format -- is there a defined-p predicate?

I checked the elisp manual but could not find it.

Thanks

G. Ralph Kuntz, MD