CUSTOMIZE: Re: how to turn on showing end of file?

From: David Combs
Subject: CUSTOMIZE: Re: how to turn on showing end of file?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 03:17:09 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.6691.1252971966.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
>PD> I'd simply use the customise interface! Writing Elisp code...
>Sorry, for me I hate the customise interface, and can only deal with
>(setq ...) stuff.

I myself have never been able to profitably use the
customize interface.

MY problem is that, as with many menu-driven gui-interfaces (eg
   main --> syntax --> foo-words --> regexp-search-for-special-word--FOO ),

is that I have no idea how to find anything, no idea of where to
even look for something.

What would be *really* nice would be a command that, starting
at whatever customize-node you're corrently at, would draw (indented text)
the entire "subtree" of it, all the way down to the leaf items.

AND really nice if also could output a .pdf-file of it -- and
if it turned out that same leaf item occurred under several
subtrees, so the tree became a directed graph, then via
some nifty-clever graph-drawing algorithm (such as at
Brown univ's site devoted to them), something we
could browse over via mouse, zoom, etc, even print out,
scotch-tape pages together, and hang on wall.

Plus the probably impossible: when new items added, some
kind of (graphic?) diff?

Otherwise, for me it's *info* and M-x Occur on the index,
that kind of thing.

PLEASE -- SOMEONE make customize easier to find things in!

Thanks!

David