Re: New config file

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: New config file
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:02:56 +0200

emacsuser <mekhala.acharya@bms.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am relatively new to emacs. I have been trying to get it to work on Linux.
> I was told to rename the config file .emacs to something other than .emacs.
> So I called it .emacs-ks. After customizing it, I called it using :
> emacs -u .emacs-ks
> It loads an emacs session ((not with the default serttings of .emacs). But I
> have to type M-x load file, then give .emacs-ks. Only then does the config
> settings take effect. I wasn't to be able to call .emacs-ks  without using
> load file.
>
> My question is, is there any way I can call emacs using a config file with
> anem other than .emacs (I need to retain .emacs in my current folder for
> other purposes)
>
> Your help is really appreciated. i know this must be a silly problem for all
> of you, but please bear with me.
> Thanks,
> Miki

My ".emacs" is called init.el and resides in ~/.emacs.d

I did this primarily to have all my emacs files in a sub dir so I could
sync that dir with the laptop etc without considering special files in
the home directory.

More info here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Init-File.html

Interestingly enough the irc channel #emacs had a few people who were
totally anti this because they considered .emacs.d as a directory where
only emacs put files and anything you put there could be under threat of
being overwritten.

The aside question is why on earth would you have the file ".emacs"
reserved for other things :-;