Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 11:59:39 +0200

ken,

ken wrote:
> On 09/09/2009 03:18 AM Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> Not my experience. I was never ever able to get gnus for newsgroups the work
>>> right under XP. I finally gave up and installed linux. A much better
>>> solution all around. ;)
>>
>> Not my experience. I was able to use Gnus (yes, the best AFAIK) email under
>> Windows XP for years. Now, I've switched to Linux for openness reasons, but
>> I still have colleagues using Gnus with MS OS (even Vista and Windows 7)...
>
> But gnus has been problemmatic for me. I have multiple email accounts which
> I access using imaps (running on different servers). Setting these all up
> and managing them is a snap with Thunderbird. On the other hand, I've spend
> *days* trying to get gnus to do the same and never did get them anything
> close to working. So I gave up. There's too many other things in my life to
> do.

It's true that setting up everything takes some time. But, once it's done, you
can go wherever (to client sites) with your config file and get the same level
of functionality as you had on your first PC.

I am using Gnus for accessing the company IMAP server and different newsgroups
(from our provider and from Gname).

> If there's ever clear and accurate enough documentation on doing this, I
> might attempt it again.

My goal is to get my .gnus file published on the Web, for helping people (the
same way I got helped by looking at other's config files).

Though, I need to get my private stuff removed from this file. Not yet done.
Could be in a couple of weeks from now.

> (But then, how does gnus handle html-formatted emails with images (e.g.,
> photos)...?  PDFs?)

Not a prob'.

Inlined photos are just seeable directly in the buffers.

The same for HTML (with emacs-w3m and the w3m browser available from Cygwin).
For HTML with Java inside, just K H to fire up Firefox with the mail
contents...

PDF are normal links. Just clicking on them opens up SumatraPDF under Windows
or okular under Linux.

All of that in one config file, usable under both Windows and Linux, without
any change. Just conditional setup.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban