Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Moving from Thunderbird to Emacs for mail and calendar
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 12:06:39 +0200

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> But gnus has been problemmatic for me.  I have multiple email accounts
> which I access using imaps (running on different servers).  Setting
> these all up and managing them is a snap with Thunderbird.  On the other
> hand, I've spend *days* trying to get gnus to do the same and never did
> get them anything close to working.  So I gave up.  There's too many
> other things in my life to do.  If there's ever clear and accurate
> enough documentation on doing this, I might attempt it again.

Agree, for one the manual is more like a references. Also, it frequently
introduces terms without explaining them properly (e.g. active group).

Until I understood most of it's concepts, gnus got totally confused (from me
killing groups, creating new groups with the same name, changing
methods will it was running,etc. ) and it appeared to be broken.

After I figured out the setup, I deleted everything gnus (News,
.newsrc.eld, .newsrc, .newsrc-dribble) and now it's working.

Actually you just have to setup a imap method (server) and subscribe to
a group (folder) on that server.

There appears to be no difference between primary and secondary
method, though I really don't know. This will ignore the primary
one.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))

Setup the imap servers. The list pattern is only necessary if the
server makes a lot of folders available you are not interested in,
e.g. a whole file-system.

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "imap.host1.net"
                (nnimap-list-pattern "Mail/*"))
        (nnimap "imap.host2.net")))

Start gnus

(gnus)

Go to server buffer.  Move point to one of the servers and go into
it.  Press `u' on the folders you want to read.  Quit server. Quit
server buffer. Update all groups

^ RET u q q g

This is with Gnus v5.13.

> (But then, how does gnus handle html-formatted emails with images (e.g.,
> photos)...?  PDFs?)

I haven't gotten any HTML mail lately. Attachments are represented as
usual via link, by which they can be opened in different ways.

-ap