elisp syntax for .emacs code beginners help (inserting "" marks example)

From: rpd
Subject: elisp syntax for .emacs code beginners help (inserting "" marks example)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 01:14:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi
Anyone know of a good elisp primer/tutorial to learn the syntax?

As an example I have this code (in a defun command):
 (insert "[Event ""]\n")
which when I call this, it outputs [Event ]
BUT what I want is [Event " "]

So somehow I need the quote marks to show!
I have googled to find out about writing elisp code but haven't got to a
simple tutorial yet (I have a copy of elisp manual but it is quite big!-take
a long time to go through!).

I will fiddle around with the " " code above (maybe try escaping with \"\
\"\).
However if anyone can tell me how to do this & point me to a good simple
tutorial as I try to start to write some elisp code for my .emacs file I
would be very grateful.

I look forward to any helpful reply, thanks