sed/awk/perl: How to replace all spaces each with an underscore that occ

From: bolega
Subject: sed/awk/perl: How to replace all spaces each with an underscore that occur before a specific string ?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:11:32 -0700 (PDT)

sed/awk/perl:

How to replace all spaces each with an underscore that occur before a
specific string ?

I really prefer a sed one liner.

Example
Input :  This is my book. It is too  thick to read. The author gets
little royalty but the publisher makes a lot.
Output: This_is_my_book._It_is_too__thick_to read. The author gets
little royalty but the publisher makes a lot.

We replaced all the spaces with underscores before the first occurence
of the string "to ".

Thanks
Gnuist