Re: moving around multiple buffers

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: moving around multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 03:11:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 20, 1:58 am, Tamas K Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen screenshots of Emacs running with many buffers.  For
> example, having Emacs on the whole screen and splitting the buffers
> like this:

> -+-
>
> I know how to do the splitting, but I am curious about what people use
> to move around.  Using C-x o (other-window) is a pain with many
> windows, same applies to selecting buffers by name (at least for me),
> and I want to avoid using the mouse for this.  I am thinking of
> something like "move to buffer B, regardless of what is there".
>
> I am interested in how other people handle these setups.  .emacs
> snippets are welcome, too.  Also, feel free to tell me if I am
> trying to do something silly that does not mesh well with Emacs.

I reassign it so the key is right on the home row and using thumb
instead of pinky.

after a year or two, this eventually became a system of keybinding.
http://code.google.com/p/ergoemacs/

then, later i added a shifted version to go into the other direction.

typically, this works well for 2 or 3 split panes. But for 4 or more,
mouse is probably best.
I almost don't use more than 2 split planes. If needed, i open another
window (emacs frame), then there's another easy shortcut to cycle
among windows.

you might as well define another easy key to easily split and unsplit
the panes.

Here's snippet of code, assuming you use dvorak keyboard:

(global-set-key (kbd "M-o") 'move-cursor-next-pane)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-O") 'move-cursor-previous-pane)

(global-set-key (kbd "M-2") 'split-window-vertically)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-@") 'split-window-horizontally)

(global-set-key (kbd "M-1") 'delete-other-windows)
(global-set-key (kbd "M-!") 'delete-window)

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/