Re: Poor Performance w/ Long Files

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Poor Performance w/ Long Files
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:09:36 +0200

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I work with many large files (+10,000,000 ASCII characters) at work
> and I've noticed that Emacs does extremely poorly with those files.  I
> have taken to opening them up in something like Notepad++ to look at
> them and editing the programs that operate on them in Emacs.  I'd love
> to be able to just stick with Emacs.
>
> Is there something that I just haven't set yet or does Emacs have
> trouble with large files?

Perhaps you could disable some emacs options that might take time,
like font-locking.  Basically, if you edit this files in fundamental-mode,
with truncate-line turned off with C-u 1 M-x toggle-truncate-lines RET and
with font-locking turned off with C-u -1 M-x font-lock-mode RET,
it should go faster.

Otherwise, have a computer with a lot of RAM.  Arg!  You're
mentionning Notepad++, perhaps you are using MS-Windows?
Unfortunately, I know nothing about MS-Windows, much less about its
optimization...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__