Re: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [BUG?] emacs-23.1 OSX emacsclient always opens a new frame
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:14:15 +0800

On Aug 18, 2009, at 4:47 PM, Mark Evenson wrote:

On 8/18/09 10:10 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
[…]

Are you making your tests without any customisation?
(/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/bin/Emacs -Q &) Could be this
customisation causes the behaviour you see... (My self-compiled
Emacs.app, Tiger PPC, does *not* create a new frame when I invoke
emacsclient, but I prefer to work with at least one frame. All the time.)

Testing this without customization yields the same result of an additional frame popping up, immediately prompting me whether I wish to kill the buffer that still has clients, so this doesn't seem to be the issue.

Maybe a Tiger v Leopard difference? Could someone running Leopard with emacs-23.1 please comment on the behavior of emacsclient under their setup?

Whoops, -n is --no-wait, nothing to do with frames, not sure what I was thinking. I'm using emacs 23 CVS head on Leopard, and it doesn't create a frame by default (I see there's a -c --create-frame option that *will* force it to make a new frame). It works just the way you'd expect it to...

Eric

is nothing to compare to it now."