Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:09:31 +0200

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello all:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In
>>> example "PÉREZ" or
>>> "GONZÁLEZ"
>>
>> Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
>> [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
>> a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
>> accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
>> would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
>> characters you'd want, something like:
>>
>>           "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"
>>
> Isn't
> C-u C-s   (aka isearch-forward-regexp)
> [A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]\{2,\}
> better?

FSVO "better".

> here \{2,\}
> means two (or more) of the preceding expression.

They don't mean the same.
My expression means: words containing only uppercase letters.
Your expression means: any occurence of two or more consecutive uppercase
letters.

Is 0x42AB   a word?  (I'd say no, it's a number in C syntax for hexadecimal).
Is NeXTstep a word?  (Yes, but it's not all uppercase).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__